The right search term
Enter the term or name in the empty search box. A full text search will be conducted in all of the fields in all of the databases (except for catalogue texts). We recommend keeping the first entry as simple as possible, for example by entering only the last name of the artist/author you are looking for, and then refine the search results by using filters.
If you do not know the exact spelling, use the * sign.
It serves as a placeholder for individual characters or for one or several words in front of, after, or between search terms.
The % sign will not work in this database.
The searches your entries will produce
Rudolf Koppitz searches for Rudolf and Koppitz
Rudolf, Koppitz searches for Rudolf or Koppitz
“Rudolf Koppitz” searches for Rudolf Koppitzwith additional information provided in front or after
[Rudolf Koppitz] searches for Rudolf Koppitz, with no additional information provided in front or after.
You may, but are not obliged to accept the search proposals suggested by the system. They might narrow down the search results considerably.
Refining search results
You may refine your search
- by applying and combining the filters offered on the left side of the website
- by switching to “Advanced Search’. Your original query and hits will be adopted
Clearing individual search steps
The history of your search will appear below the search box.
By clicking on the red X at the end of the line, you will be able to delete the respective step of your search.
The button New Search will take you back to the original search form.
In the first line of the search form appears a vacant search box. Your entry in this box will run a search in all of the fields in all of the databases (except for catalogue texts).
There are three options
- You can conduct a search without refining it.
- You can combine your first entry with the search criteria offered below. You may connect different search criteria by selecting the logical connectives and/or/not.
- You can leave the search box at the top of the page empty and immediately work with the search criteria offered below.
Switching to Advanced Search
You can switch from any previous search into Advanced Search while your original query and hits will be adopted
Search in all departments
By searching in all departments you will obtain an overview of the holdings available in all of the databases:
- image data base (Paintings and Sculptures, Graphic Art Collection, Poster Collection, Architectural Collection, Photographic Collection)
- Bio-Bibliography on Photography in Austria
Search in individual departments
Here you can direct your search by limiting it to a particular department. Clicking on Search will take you to the search form. In the filter section on the left side of the website, the department in question has been preselected. After entering a search term, it will be searched in all of the fields (except for catalogue texts) of the chosen department.
You can extend your search to several departments: choose among the filters on the left to add the requested department(s).